Joining the American Spaniel Club & Membership Information
Welcome and thank you for your interest in the American Spaniel Club!
The American Spaniel Club (ASC) has been the parent club of Cocker Spaniels since 1881 and is committed to the responsible breeding, care, health, and training of all spaniels.
Why should you join?
You will become a member of a premier parent breed club with a storied history dating back to 1881.
- As a member, you will be able to share your passion with a diverse group of people united in their interest, preservation, and promotion of Cocker Spaniels and the other Flushing Spaniels.
- You will be able to join a community of spaniel enthusiasts and become involved and develop lasting friendships with others who share your passion for Cocker Spaniels.
- Members determine the American Kennel Club (AKC) breed standard for Cocker Spaniels and a code of ethics outlining guidelines for responsible breeding and Cocker Spaniel ownership.
- Through participation in ASC and club events, you have the opportunity to learn about Cocker Spaniels from long-time, established breeders and owners who have had a longtime commitment to Cocker Spaniels.
- If you are interested in events like conformation, agility, obedience, rally, barn hunt, trick dog, field trials and hunt tests, clubs like ASC are responsible for putting on such events. As a member, you can help make these events even better than they already are and ensure they will continue in the future.
- Newcomers to exhibiting, breeding, and Cocker Spaniel ownership are welcome to become involved in any of the club’s committee activities and can volunteer wherever they think they can contribute. Volunteering often opens the door to an exchange of ideas about the breed.
- Members who participate in competitive events are also eligible for recognition through the club’s annual Top Dog awards, the Producers Hall of Distinction, and the Performance Hall of Distinction.
- ASC is committed to strategically finding ways to move forward in positive ways for the preservation of Cocker Spaniels and the other Flushing Spaniels and the betterment of its members, because there is power in numbers and acting together as a united group.
- As an ASC member, you have opportunities to support veterinary health research, Cocker Spaniel rescue operations and other key issues to benefit the welfare of the breed through the American Spaniel Club Foundation.
- Members have access to the club’s quarterly publication, The Bulletin, which contains news about club activities, and articles about the history, health and well-being of the breed. There is also a members-only discussion board to share knowledge and ideas about the breed.
We would love for you to share your passion about Cocker Spaniels with us. And, we look forward to having you share your ideas about the breed and the club.
Diane Kepley, President
The American Spaniel Club, Inc.
Levels of Membership
There are two levels of membership – Full and Associate. ASC is also committed to supporting young people with a Juniors membership. And, we encourage Cocker Spaniel enthusiasts world-wide to join as Foreign members.
To become a member of the American Spaniel Club, you must complete the following process:
- Complete an Application. It must be signed by the director of your zone. See zones below.
- Obtain a completed sponsor form from two members of ASC in good standing.
- Sign the Code of Ethics Card
- Send the completed Code of Ethics Card, along with the appropriate dues, to the secretary as indicated on the application form.
You can download the forms in PDF format. You’ll need Adobe® Acrobat® Reader® to view and print the different forms.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY FEBRUARY 1 FOR APRIL ELECTION, BY MAY 1 FOR JULY ELECTION, BY AUGUST 1 FOR OCTOBER ELECTION, BY NOVEMBER 1 FOR JANUARY ELECTION.
2022 ASC Membership Dues Notice
$160.00 Husband and Wife: ($90.00 initiation* & $70.00 annual dues)
$85.00 Individual: ($45.00 initiation & $40.00 annual dues)
$60.00 Junior (under 18): ($45.00 initiation & $15.00 annual dues)
$20.00 Associate (non-voting member)
*Initiation fee is $45.00 each
Note to Foreign Applicants
Applicants residing outside the United States are assessed a yearly mailing surcharge as follows:
Canadian and Mexican Applicants: $5.00
All other Foreign Applicants: $10.00
ASC Dues and Application Process